Monday 21 January 2013

Girl About Town


One of my favourite trends is having a colour overhaul. I have loved the dark vampy lips from the past season, and my staple going out look has been a block berry colour lip and barely-there eye make-up.  But this spring it’s all about pink. Fuchsia, cerise, hot pink and magenta are all on the wish list. Same bold statement, different bold colour.

Bright pink lips adorned the runways at Dries Van Noten, Missoni, Giles, and Richard Nicoll’s S/S 13 shows. This trend is definitely in my top three of the season. Bright colours can perk up a fair skin tone adding luminosity to dulled winter skin, and come summer they will look beautiful with a golden tan.

It’s a fun and playful trend so keep the rest of your make-up fairly minimal, a touch of nude or light gold on the eyes will complement the lip, but try to avoid the eyeliner you may end up looking a little Avril Lavigne circa 2004.

Below are some of my favourite bright pinks. I’ll be honest, not all five may work for you in the exact same way as me because I have quite fair skin, blue-green eyes and what can only be described as ‘bronde’ hair. I’m in between going from blonde to brown. However, I hope that there is at least one that appeals to you or you find a different shade from the brand that is perfect for you.  

Mac Amplified Lipstick in Girl About Town £14
I had to start with my ultimate pink! The pigmentation is amazing, goes on effortlessly, lasts all night and it even smells great. The blue undertones in it make it a great colour for pretty much every skin tone and not many lip colours can make that claim. It’s such a bold and feminine colour that makes you walk with just a little more confidence and is the perfect accompaniment to an outfit. I honestly think that Girl About Town is one of those products that every girl should have in her make-up bag.
   
 Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in Fuchsia  £7.99
My initial reaction when I saw this was ‘Wow that’s such a good dupe for Girl About Town!’ It’s got a hint of shimmer to it so is the perfect colour for a night out with the girls, or push it into your lips with your fingers to get a stain for an understated daytime look.
  
 Topshop Lipstick Crayon in Clueless £7
I’ve been really impressed with Topshop’s make-up range over the last couple of years, and I’m pretty much in love with Clueless. It’s so pigmented yet really soft and easy to apply. Some heavily pigmented colours can be quite hard but this just glides on like a little dream! It reminds me of Lancome’s In Love but at a fraction of the cost. Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and this is the perfect shade for the most romantic of celebrations.

 YSL Glossy Stain in Golden Fuchsia (number 14)  £22.50 
Ok so I know that it’s a little pricey, but for me it’s one of the best make-up investments I’ve made. They’ve had mixed reviews because of the texture and consistency, some people think it’s quite drying, but I think if you prep well then you should avoid that problem.  The trend leans more toward brighter poppy toned pinks, but this is more berry-toned. I think it’s amazing for night, but if you’re feeling brave wear it in the daytime. I love a simple outfit dressed up with a beautiful lip colour. Blot it and layer to get a matte finish or one layer to get a glossy look.

  Revlon Lip Butter in Sweet Tart £7.99 
Sweet Tart is a beautiful hot pink but the consistency is on the sheer side so it’s perfect for making the trend much more wearable for daytime. Lip butters for those who aren’t too familiar, I think are the lip equivalent of a BB Cream. They’re not a tinted lip balm, nor a lipstick, they’re in between. They have the glossiness of a lip balm but similar colour pigmentation to lipstick.  The buttery texture also gives your lips a little TLC, which is perfect as lips need to be in good condition to pull of this eye catching look.

No comments:

Post a Comment